- HOW IT WORKS: Foundation in a beehive is the same as a concrete slab is on a house. Both serve as the structure to be built on and the partially formed cells serve as a blueprint for the bees to follow and build their own comb on top of. Bees will build on both sides of the foundation and use the comb to store honey and pollen and to raise their young.
- TWICE THE BEESWAX: In 2015, we were tired and disappointed with using the standard thinly coated, Mann-lake plastic foundation, and others like it. The bees just would not build comb on it... So we changed to what the bees like more and found a supplier who would apply twice the beeswax on it. And our bees and our customers have never looked back. The additional coat of American beeswax makes a SIGNIFICANT difference to the bees (and the beekeepers). Our bees just love it!
- HIGH-QUALITY FOUNDATION: American made by the Acorn Bee Plastics who specializes in making the best quality plastic foundation for bees available. More durable sheets, raised cell walls, and communication holes set this foundation apart from any foundation made by Pierco, Mann-lake, or any other foundation company.
- SMALLER CELL THAN TYPICAL FOUNDATION: We didn't realize this until after using it for a while, but the bees form cells that are smaller than the standard beeswax and plastic foundation on the market. Each cell is 5.2 mm wide which is about half-way between the small-cell foundation and the standard large cells sold by most companies.
- BLACK BACKGROUND AND HOLES: Beginner beekeepers love our foundation because of the black background. While this doesn't make a difference to the bees, the background makes it very easy to see the white eggs and larva. This is a necessary skill for all beekeepers and our foundation makes it that much easier. Each sheet also has two perforated breakaway tabs that can be removed for bees to pass between frames easier.
Looking for medium frames, click here.
Looking for medium foundation, click here
Looking for medium frames with foundation, click here
Looking for deep frames, click here
Looking for deep foundation, click here
Looking for deep frames with foundation, click here